EARLY HISTORY OF LUVERNE, ALABAMA
By Joe R. Sport
Luverne, the Friendliest City in the South, was founded in 1889, one mile east of the Patsaliga River on the Alabama Midland Railroad in the central part of Crenshaw County. The primary figures in the founding of Luverne were M.P. Legrand, S.D. Hubbard, and George A. Folmar who purchased land surrounding the railroad, which would become the site of the new town.
Luverne grew very quickly due to its advantageous location relative to other more established communities in the county. By 1890, it boasted nineteen businesses and a population of approximately 1,000 people. In 1893 a vote by the people moved the county seat from Rutledge to Luverne where a new courthouse was constructed. The booming young town which just four years earlier was a pine forest had become the center of business, government and social events for Crenshaw County.
Luverne has a strong education system provided by Luverne High/Elementary School along with Crenshaw Christian Academy.
Luverne ownes its own electric system with one sub-station and is a member of 11 cities that makes up Alabama Municipal Electric Authority. The City of Luverne prides itself in having one of the lowest electric, water, sewer, and garbage rates as any city in Alabama.